Château de la Chapoulie
Built by the English during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453), in was at the heart of the battles between France and England.
At the peak of the fighting, the opposing factions built fortified places throughout the frontier of the Périgord. Situated on top of a strategic hill near the commune of Peyrignac in the eastern Dordogne, it is a remarkable example of defensive architecture that alternated between English and French occupation.
It is believed construction of the château began in 1398 and was completed in the early 15th century.
Originally it comprised just two 'Siamese' towers, with battlements or crenellations around the tops of the towers, a moat and a drawbridge. However, after the end of the French Wars of Religion (1562–98), between French Catholics and Protestants (Huguenots), the fort was demilitarised around 1610 and converted into living accommodation.
Substantial additions were made to the property during 1762/63, with the addition of the east and west wings, which together with workers' accommodation, a piggery, dairy, workshops and stables, formed a courtyard. In addition, a large chai was added to make and store wine made from local grapes. On the evidence of photographs taken just before the First World War it would appear the two towers were derelict and unoccupied, and this may have continued through to the Second World War. Wine production stopped around 1968.
Site updated: June 26, 2015